Crete is a microcosm of the world, a diverse land, full of natural and cultural wonders. Above all, it is a land with unique people, hospitable and yet proud, wild and yet friendly, crazy and yet grounded. Therefore, this itinerary approaches Crete with sincere respect and deep appreciation for what the people and their precious land have brought into our world, into civilization as we know it and into arts and culture.
Travelers experience an extensive connection with local entrepreneurs and innovators, participate in celebrations and customs, come close to the contemporary art and also learn about the problems and concerns of the locals, which especially today are 100% interconnected with the European or even universal problems and needs. This exchange of information and knowledge could lead to a deeper understanding of one’s own and the visited culture. It could help travelers and locals alike to realize the global interaction between all aspects of our societies, like the economy, the food chain, energy or climate matters.
Ottlah provides opportunities for travelers to interact with local people and experience culture first hand, through:
- Excursions to known, but also to non-touristic places
- Participation in cultural events, local feasts, and traditional concerts
- Visits to distilleries, vineyards, olive oil presses, beekeepers, organic farms etc
- Mini-workshops on local cuisine and folk circular dances
- Lectures on the local customs, the famous Greek Mythology, the modern language and its live connection to the ancient Greek language as well as its connection to other modern European languages
- Hands-on traditional healing applications of the local herbs